by Shyam Seshadri (@shyamseshadri) on Tuesday, 5 August 2014
- Technical level
The aim is to get developers up, running and comfortable with AngularJS within a day. To break it down further:
- Expose developers to the major benefits of AngularJS
- Familiarize developers with the terminologies used in AngularJS, and associate it with existing nomenclature
- Develop an End to End AngularJS application (as much as possible) from scratch
- Understand what are controllers, services, factories, promises, directives and filters, and know how to use and create each!
- Also realize the importance of testing, and how to unit test AngularJS applications!
This is the condensed, one-day version of our hands-on three day AngularJS workshops, which have been loved by every single company we have done it for!
Unlike many workshops, when we say hands-on, we mean hands-on. You will be coding, you will be developing, and you will have something substantial to show for it by the end of the day. This will be the first step for you on your AngularJS journey, armed enough to tackle any issues and challenges with confidence.
Over the course of the day, we will try to cover as much as possible of the following, in order:
- Start with static HTML, and understand how to start creating AngularJS applications.
- Create a rich, interactive application, leveraging AngularJS data bindings and controllers.
- Understand how to communicate across our application, and create reusable business logic layers using services & factories.
- Really understand asynchronous communication over XHR (XmlHttpRequests), and understand the concept of promises that underlies the entire async part of AngularJS.
- Create a multi-page, Single Page Application (the irony!) using the ngRoute module in AngularJS.
- Quickly learn how to unit test our controllers and services (and server requests, oh my!), using Karma & Jasmine.
- Start learning about directives, and create a very simple Directive in AngularJS.
This will be a fast paced, coding heavy workshop. Prepare to come caffienated, and ready to get your hands dirty and really learn some AngularJS. We will also keep talking about best practices as we go along the entire day.
- Prior exposure to concepts like Asynchronous programming, Single Page Applications and the like
- Bring your own laptops
- Access to the internet (which shall be provided, hopefully!)
- NodeJS - Get it from http://nodejs.org/ and have it installed. The server for our application is going to be a NodeJS server, so no working application without it!
- Git - Get it from http://git-scm.com/ . Again, our codebase is going to be on a git server, so to ensure you can easily get the codebase, and keep pace with the workshop, make sure you have git.
Shyam Seshadri is the CEO & Director at Fundoo Solutions Private Limited, a tech startup that is based out of Navi Mumbai. Shyam is a published author and has written two books on AngularJS for O’Reilly (the second one, called AngularJS Up & Running (http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920033486.do) is scheduled to be out soon).
Before he started Fundoo, he was a Senior Software Engineer at Google in Mountain View, where he also worked on AngularJS when it first started. He has an MBA in Marketing & Entrepreneurship from the Indian School of Business, Hyderabad.
Nowadays, he spends his time working on awesome new products, consulting on high level architecture and complex projects and conducting AngularJS & NodeJS workshops internationally.